Appropriate for: Registered Nurses who wish to take on the extended role of Verification of Expected Death
in line with CQC framework of the five ‘domains’: safe; effective; caring; responsive to people’s needs; and
Max Number: 15
Facilitators: Phyllis Tuckwell Educators
• Be aware of the 5 Priorities of Care & ‘Proactive Indicator Guidance’.
• Read organisation local policy and process for identifying people who are expected to die.
• Attended communication training to be able to manage difficult situations.
• Access to an assessor to work through competence in practice.
• Understand the legal requirements of the role.
• Outline the scope of your practice including the criteria for excluding patients.
• Correctly demonstrate the examination techniques to verify expected death.
• Demonstrate how to accurately identify and document the patient in question.
• How you would meet the needs of any religious preference.
• Gain awareness of how to manage patients who have an industrial illness.
• To be able to perform 5 vital signs and understand what other devices can be removed.
The update training will be delivered using Microsoft Teams. Please ensure you have a device with camera/
audio and you have MS Teams downloaded onto your device prior to the session.
Contact: The Education Department on 01252 729474 or email@example.com