Phyllis Thanks Samfest for Generous Donation

Phyllis Tuckwell Hospice Care has recently been presented with a cheque for £22,000 from the organisers of Samfest, an all-day music festival which was held in Tongham on Saturday 22nd June 2019.

Over 3,500 music lovers went along and enjoyed music from a wide range of bands, including Queen tribute band Rock Q and Oasis tribute band Maybe Oasis, Ska Dogs, The Chilli Fighters, The Frets and X factor contestant Jack Mason. A fun fair and festival market added to the entertainment and provided a brilliant day out for the whole family.

Samfest was first held in the summer of 2010 and is named in memory of Sam Wright, whose husband Michael Wright is one of the festival’s organisers. Sam died of pancreatic cancer in 2010 and towards the end of her life was cared for by Phyllis Tuckwell, which provides supportive and end of life care for local patients and families who are living with an advanced or terminal illness. Michael and the other Samfest organisers donate 70% of the profits from every Samfest to Phyllis Tuckwell, with the remaining 30% going to other local charities and community groups based in Tongham. Usually held every other year, 2019 was the biggest Samfest yet and paves the way for a special festival this year, when Samfest will be celebrating its 10th anniversary.

“2020 will mark the 10 year anniversary of Sam’s death, as well as the anniversary of the first ever Samfest,” said Michael Wright. “With two such huge, entwined anniversaries, we thought it only fitting to mark them both with a special celebration of both life and Samfest. We plan to make 2020 our biggest Samfest to date and would love you to join us on what will be a hugely significant day.”

“We would like to thank the organisers of Samfest for this fantastic donation and wish them the very best for Samfest 2020,” said Charli Quay-Barnham, Community Fundraising Manager at Phyllis Tuckwell. “The £22,000 that last year’s Samfest raised for Phyllis Tuckwell could cover the cost of one of our Hospice Care at Home nurses for nearly six months. These nurses care for patients who have chosen to spend their last days at home, visiting them as needed and offering their families emotional support too.”

Every day Phyllis Tuckwell supports over 250 patients, relatives and carers – providing medical and nursing care, therapies, counselling, social work advice and practical support – but as the NHS/Government only covers 20% of its costs, it has to raise over £20,000 a day to do this.

Tickets are now on sale for Samfest 2020, which will take place on Saturday 20th June at the Recreation Ground in Tongham. Adult Advanced tickets are priced at £18.50 and Advanced Youth are £13.50. Family tickets are also available. Visit to buy your tickets and find out more about sponsorship opportunities for the event.

Back to News